Thursday, May 13, 2004

The Question

The "when are you going to start a family" question, that is. People ask when J and I are getting married, and then ask when we plan to "start a family." We generally reply that our family already exists, but that we will be official on March 12th. This, of course, is not what they mean. These people want to know about kids. They have the idea that the only valid family is one with kids, which is definitely not true. I don't want kids. I never have. I like other people's well-behaved kids. They go home with their parents every night and I go home to spend time with J. That's what I want out of life. I don't want to be legally responsible for someone else's welfare for 18 years. I want to go on vacations, keep lots of interesting reptiles, share my house with my cats, spend time alone with J, get plenty of sleep, have some extra money, start my own wine making business... all things that would be very difficult if I was stuck with a child. So leave me alone- not having kids is a perfectly valid life choice, and J and I are a family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home