Tuesday, June 08, 2004

The part of my job I hate

I work in HR, and generally, I like it. However, today I had to turn away two guys who did not have the legal right to work in this country. I hate it. They've been working here for years, and they had the bad luck to try to work for a company that actually knows how to spot fake IDs, and there's nothing I can do to help.

Jeremy's (I've gotten tired of calling him J) been working a lot lately. Of course, he's working for 3 companies (the one he's been at for 6 years, his uncle's recently started company, and his brother's quasi under-the-table company). He hasn't worked for the "main" company in weeks, and will probably turn in his resignation soon. His uncle will pay him $1 more an hour for now, and Jeremy will be the first foreman when the company begins to expand. Main boss is not out busting his butt to get the contracts, and that simply does not fly in construction. The bad thing is Jeremy's been doing more work with wood than with steel, which makes him cranky. The good thing is his uncle respects his abilities and treats him like a competant adult, something that was lacking at his previous job.

2 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the old company just has no work for him? eeeeew

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Zoe said...

Yup. He's now quit, and he'll be working for his uncle. Which is good, as he's much happier there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home